I started a painting project a year and a half ago! I decided to paint one door black. I played it safe and started with my garage entry door. It was an easy decision when my first impression of my home was this door:
Here is the after… love it! Scroll down to bottom of post for details and suggestions!
We have also spent the past year and a half updating the hardware and hinges. We purchased a few sets from Home Depot every month. I am happy to say we are just 3 hinges and one door handle away from this project! Doesn’t the hardware look great against the black door.
Loved it so much… I painted the front door! Here is the before picture after 2 coats of primer…
Here is the after and I love it! New hardware from Home Depot and a new door bell after a quick google search! I used BEHR paint, Beluga on all doors!
Love the Valentine wreath against the black door:
And, then I decided to paint the pantry door. I don’t have a before photo of the front of the pantry door, but you know the drill!
Here is the after shot … even my brother noticed it and loved it. Well, maybe love is a bit of an embellishment, but he noticed it!
And, yes I did paint the interior side of the door (and I spray painted the white spice rack from Container Store):
And, then I had to bedazzle the pantry door!
Loving the black doors! If you are thinking about it.. go for it! You won’t regret it.. and if you do.. it’s only paint.
Here are my suggestions and details:
1. Prime all doors. You won’t regret this step. I just bought the 5 gallon primer at the Depot.
2. I removed the door handle hardware, but not the hinges (mainly because it takes up too much time and since my hardware is oil rubbed bronze, any goofs are disguised by the bronze finish.
3. I used BEHR paint, BELUGA in semi-gloss finish. I love this color! And, at least 2 coats.
4. Here’s my biggest suggestion to painting doors: leave the paint can and brush handy because I am amazed at how many missed spots show up depending on the angle of my eyes!
5. And, finally.. it’s only paint! Go for it! I had a girls happy hour recently and everyone loved the doors!
Linking up to: